Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: LA SEMFO Meeting - What Happened

  1. #1
    Konton
    Guest Konton's Avatar

    Sunday we has another meeting of the "Los Angeles - Super Eight Millimeter
    Filmmaker's Organization" which for I'll just call LA SEMFO, till someone thinks of
    a better name!

    Once people showed up we did a low quality transfer of some films to VHS using
    the Goko TC-20 and an old HVC-2400 Sony camera. I'll like to say for the record
    that although the camera we used did suck in terms of resolution (It's from 1980!
    What do you except?), there was no flickering from the transfer. We viewed films
    (both reversal film and negative film ran through a color corrector) from the
    television at both 18 and 24 FPS and it looked pretty damn good. I hope some
    people from the meeting are willing to testify to this.

    From some discussion on audio noise emitted from the camera, we decided to
    compare the Canon 1014 XL-S, the Nizo 6080, and for fun the CP-16R/A 16mm
    camera. I have to say that the CP-16 was the quietest, but the Nizo 6080 beat out
    the Canon 1014 XL-S.

    We also watched some of "Lost Tribes" and discussed the quality of Ektachrome
    vs. Kodachome through the film. Then we discussed a little about our own projects
    we hoped to work on and what kind of equipment we had between all of us which
    could be utilized as a group.

    I have to say that after the meeting I was pretty damn excited. With enough talented
    people who want to work on Super 8mm projects I think we can get this group off
    the ground and create some great short films (which one I get that DVD burner
    replaced we can burn to DVD).

    For the next meeting I hope we can either shoot some film (I know some of the
    group has never shot any film and it would be nice to get a little practice) on an
    audio sync test short, or work on a project someone in the group wants to do and is
    willing to finance. Does anyone have an idea of when would be good to meet again?
    Let me know! I hope we will soon be able to make some crazy films together!!!

    ------------------
    Konton the Grey

  2. #2
    chas_ucla
    Guest chas_ucla's Avatar

    I second Justin's sentiments -- great meeting. It was good to meet two new L.A. shooters -- Michael and Ralis (horror make-up artist to the stars!) and to get two of my films transferred on Justin's telecine unit. Nice transfer!
    Next meeting will probably be on the third weekend in January so any of you L.A. locals contact Konton the Grey!

    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by chas_ucla (edited December 18, 2001).]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •